Two years ago at the Frankfurt Motor Show IAA the concept of the BMW X5 plug-in hybrid showed up - now the production version debuts in Germany - and then become ab essential team member of the Formula E series.
Since its debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show IAA back in 2013 we accompany the development of the BMW X5 which today is known as X5 xDrive40e – the very first Plug-in Hybrid for the core brand of BMW. Two years ago it first was shown as a Concept Car right here in Frankfurt. After that we were able to drive one of the pre-production cars and finale we were there, when the final version gave its world premiere in Shanghai some month ago.
Now its time for the European premiere of the production model of the BMW X5 xDrive 40e in the city, where it all startet. In September the new BMW X5 shows up in Frankfurt. Finally the car comes to the BMW dealerships than in November.
But between these two important dates there lies another challenge for the BMW X5 xDrive40e plug-in hybrid! It will be deployed as the Official FIA Formula E Rescue Car over the course of the new Formula E season! And the new, second season of the Formula Series starts October, 17th!
- Range on electric power only (EU): up to 31 kilometres (19 miles)
- Overall range: over 800 kilometres (497 miles)
- System output: 313 hp
- Maximum system torque: 450 Nm (332 lb-ft)
- Top speed: 210 km/h / 130 mph (120 km/h / 75 mph on electric power only)
- 0 – 100 km/h (62 mph): 6.8 seconds
Modifications to comply with FIA Formula E requirements:
- Bank of LED lights and stroboscope light
- FIA radio equipment and transponder integrated into the vehicle electronics